Wednesday, 19 August 2026

Cinebook: Yoko Tsuno 21 - The Celestial Boat

 


Author: Roger Leloup

Age: 12 years and up

Size: 21.7 x 28.7 cm

Number of pages: 48 colour pages

£8.99 incl VAT

ISBN: 9781800441873

https://www.cinebook.co.uk/yoko-tsuno-celestial-boat-p-4603.html

Yoko and her adopted daughter Morning Dew are on their way to China when the man sitting next to them on the plane collapses. Right before, he tells them that ‘the Seventh Tooth of the Dragon hides a treasure’. 

After consulting a local historian, they learn that the Tooth is a mountain, and the ‘treasure’ is, in fact, the tomb of an emperor’s wife who died in the 11th century, at the age of six. A sad tale that will soon have Yoko and Dew travelling to the past once more!

When I got the first Yoko Tsuno book to review I wanted to get it out of the way. It was a"Kiddies book with a feamle character" and one that I thought not that worth bothering with. So quick review and move on.

I was wrong of course.

Space travel. Time travel -there is a whole universe of unique stories and characters. If you want to put it in simple terms Yoko gets up to the sort of thing Dr Who does!  Leloup's work is getting even better and the colours are so nice and easy on the eye.  Look at the cover. Not a single fault in the art that I can see and I really do think more people need to startknowing about Yoko Tsuno.

We have time travel; hang gliding -in the 11th century of course!-, ships colliding and the "fourth wife" not turning out to be quite who Yoko thought. If I write too muchit is going to give away the whole ending but I'll just say that this story is an example of a Consistency Paradox as we interested in Temporal Paradoxes call it. Buy the book. Read the story and you will see what I mean.

Just for kids? Well if I enjoyed it at my age then I'll just write "A comic book adventure for all ages" (that is not even a reference to time travel!).

No comments:

Post a Comment